Tips that fit seamlessly into your holiday routine
Between buying gifts, making travel plans and coordinating with family and friends, it’s easy to get overwhelmed with the hustle and bustle of the holidays. Here are 10 tips to help you get back money, time and peace of mind so that you can maintain that holiday cheer:
1. Prepay baggage costs online: Save money by pre-paying your baggage costs online. According to AOL Travel, checking your bags in advance online can save between $3.00 – $5.00 per bag. Check to see if your airline offers this service.
2. No more backtracking! A lesser-known “route planner” feature on MapQuest helps you save both time and money by mapping out an entire journey – with multiple stops – all in one convenient step. You can add up to 25 destinations along any route, and the tool gives you the fastest route. Since launching in July, it has saved North Americans more than 2.7 million miles!
3. When gifting, go green: Go green and get back some green with your gift-wrapping by reusing paper products you may already have around the house, like newspaper and even left-over wallpaper. According to the Clean Air Council, in the U.S. alone, four million tons of waste is generated during the holidays from wrapping paper and shopping bags.
4. Walk off your pie: Walk off the holiday meal and recharge your mental batteries. Start a family tradition! Go for a two mile walk and you’ll burn off about 170 calories, equivalent to one slice of pumpkin pie.
5. Holiday kid swap: You’ve heard of the holiday cookie swap…but what about the holiday kid swap? Gain kid-free time to make your way through your holiday to-do list by coordinating an exchange with family, friends or neighbors.